Award-winning writer and photographer Lola (Akinmade) Åkerström has photographed and dispatched from 60+ countries for various publications.
She is the 2018 Travel Photographer of the Year Bill Muster Award recipient.
Her work has appeared in National Geographic Traveler, BBC, CNN, The Guardian, Travel + Leisure, Slate, Travel Channel, Adventure Magazine, AFAR, Lonely Planet, Fodor’s, National Geographic Channel, several in-flight magazines, amongst others.
Some of her articles and photography have been syndicated on MSNBC, Slate, Yahoo, New York Daily News, Chicago Sun Times, Huffington Post, and Time Warner.
In addition to contributing to several books, she is the author of the following books – 2018 Lowell Thomas Award winner for best travel book, DUE NORTH, & bestselling LAGOM: Swedish Secret of Living Well available in 18 foreign language editions.
She has been recognized with multiple awards for her work and was honoured with a MIPAD 100 (Most Influential People of African Descent) Award within media and culture in 2018.
She was in South Africa on a photography assignment for National Geographic Channel and was featured in a vignette called “Through The Lens” which airs on Nat Geo channel across the globe.
She also owns and runs Geotraveler Media – a multimedia and travel consulting firm providing a spectrum of travel media-related services.
Her photography is represented by National Geographic Image Collection.
She is editor-in-chief of Slow Travel Stockholm – an editorial site which encourages travelers to explore Stockholm deeper and slowly. She is also a founder of the Nordic Travel Bloggers (NordicTB) collective which brings together the top professional travel influencers and digital storytellers in the Nordic countries of Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, and Iceland.
She is available for speaking engagements and below is a sample of travel conferences and events where she’s appeared as a speaker/moderator:
- 2019 Propel Summit – Graz, Austria
- 2019 Women’s Travel Fest – New York, USA
- 2019 ITB Berlin – Berlin, Germany
- 2019 Karolinska Storytelling Workshop – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2018 Looking (B)lack Travel Symposium – Brussels, Belgium
- 2018 SI Storytelling Workshop – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2018 Travel Con – Austin, Texas, USA
2018 KILIFAIR Trade Fair – Moshi, Tanzania
- 2018 ITB Berlin – Berlin, Germany
- 2017 NonfictioNOW Conference – Reykjavik, Iceland
- 2017 Nordic Bloggers Experience – Helsinki, Finland
- 2016 Social Travel Summit (STS) – Inverness, Scotland
- 2016 Travel Bloggers Exchange (TBEX) – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2016 Travel Photography Workshop – Reggio Emilia, Italy
- 2016 Better Bloggers Conference (BBCON) – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2016 African Travel Writing Encounters – University of Birmingham, England
- 2016 Nordic Bloggers Experience (NBE) Keynote Moderator – Helsinki, Finland
- 2015 Travel Bloggers Exchange (TBEX) – Bangkok, Thailand
- 2015 New York Travel Festival (NYTravFest) – Remote
- 2015 Stockholm Travel Massive – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2015 International Women’s Club – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2014 StockholmsDagen / VisitStockholm – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2013 Travel Bloggers Exchange (TBEX) – Dublin, Ireland
- 2013 Travel Bloggers Exchange (TBEX) – Toronto, Canada
- 2012 Travel Blogger Elevator (TBE) – Genova, Italy
- 2011 Moderator: Diversity Forum – Vienna, Austria
- 2011 Travel Bloggers Unite (TBU) – Manchester, England
- 2010 Travel Bloggers Exchange (TBEX) – Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2010 Travel Bloggers Exchange (TBEX) – New York, USA
- Absolut Vodka, Anglo Filming Production, Austrian Airlines, Busabout, Emilia Romagna Tourism / BlogVille, Expedia, Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts, German National Tourism Board, HomeAway, IAmbassador Collective, Intrepid Travel, Jetsetter, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Lonely Planet, Marriott International, MasterCard, Mocinno International, MOVE Guides, National Geographic Channel, Swedish Lapland, Sweden.se / Swedish Institute, South African Tourism, Skyscanner, Tourism Ireland, Visit Sweden, Visit Stockholm, Wimdu, World Travel & Tourism Council
She is based in Stockholm, Sweden and is available for both writing and photography assignments around the world.