BEST WAY TO REACH ME:
- For books, I am represented by Jessica Craig at Craig Literary.
- For book-related press, publicity, and interviews for “In Every Mirror She’s Black (IEMSB)“, please email Cristina Arreola at Sourcebooks (US) and Kate Appleton at Head of Zeus (UK).
- For Film/TV rights for IEMSB, please email Mary Pender / UTA
- For commissions, speaking requests, or collaborations, send an email here.
Award-winning writer and photographer Lola (Akinmade) Åkerström has photographed and dispatched from 70+ countries for various publications. She is the 2018 Travel Photographer of the Year Bill Muster Award recipient.
Her work has appeared in National Geographic, BBC, CNN, The Guardian, Travel + Leisure, New York Times, Slate, Travel Channel, Adventure.com Magazine, The Sunday Times, AFAR, Lonely Planet, Fodor’s, several in-flight magazines, amongst others.
She has collaborated with high profile commercial brands from Mercedes-Benz and Dove to Intrepid Travel and National Geographic Channel (scroll to end of page for more collaborations).
In addition to contributing to several books, she is the author of the following books – 2018 Lowell Thomas Award winner for best travel book, DUE NORTH, & bestselling LAGOM: Swedish Secret of Living Well available in 18 foreign language editions.
She has been recognized with multiple awards and nominations for her work, including a Pushcart Prize nomination, and was honoured with a MIPAD 100 (Most Influential People of African Descent) Award within media and culture in 2018.
“Lola is a strong and powerful voice for others and this article resonated with many readers across cultures and continents. We are honored to present her with the very first Most Impactful Piece of Writing award. She has set a high bar for the others to follow her.”
Beth Santos – Founder & CEO of Wanderful on the inaugural Bessie Awards
She was in South Africa on a photography assignment for National Geographic Channel and was featured in a vignette called “Through The Lens” which airs on Nat Geo channel across the globe.
She also owns and runs Geotraveler Media – a multimedia and travel consulting agency providing a spectrum of travel media-related services.
She is editor-in-chief of Slow Travel Stockholm – an editorial site which encourages travelers to explore Stockholm deeper and slowly. She is also a founder of the NordicTB which provides digital marketing, content creation, and social media collaboration with travel brands and destinations.
She is available for speaking engagements and below is a sample of travel conferences and events where she’s appeared as a speaker/moderator:
- 2020 Skift Europe Forum
- 2020 Wanderful Digital Summit
- 2020 AudacityDigi Festival
- 2020 Women in Travel CIC
- 2020 National Geographic Traveller Masterclasses – London, UK
- 2020 Royal Geographical Society – London, UK
- 2020 Stockholm School of Economics – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2019 TEDxStockholm – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2019 Swedish Institute Storytelling Workshop – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2019 Electrolux 100 Women – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2019 Women in Travel Summit (WITS) – Riga, Latvia
- 2019 Adventure Travel Summit (ATWS) – Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2019 Women’s Travel Fest – New York, USA
- 2019 ITB Berlin – Berlin, Germany
- 2019 Karolinska Storytelling Workshop – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2018 Looking (B)lack Travel Symposium – Brussels, Belgium
- 2018 Swedish Institute Storytelling Workshop – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2018 Travel Con – Austin, Texas, USA
- 2018 KILIFAIR Trade Fair – Moshi, Tanzania
- 2018 ITB Berlin – Berlin, Germany
- 2017 NonfictioNOW Conference – Reykjavik, Iceland
- 2017 Nordic Bloggers Experience – Helsinki, Finland
- 2016 Social Travel Summit (STS) – Inverness, Scotland
- 2016 Travel Bloggers Exchange (TBEX) – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2016 Travel Photography Workshop – Reggio Emilia, Italy
- 2016 Better Bloggers Conference (BBCON) – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2016 African Travel Writing Encounters – University of Birmingham, England
- 2016 Nordic Bloggers Experience (NBE) Keynote Moderator – Helsinki, Finland
- 2015 Travel Bloggers Exchange (TBEX) – Bangkok, Thailand
- 2015 New York Travel Festival (NYTravFest) – Remote
- 2015 Stockholm Travel Massive – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2015 International Women’s Club – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2014 StockholmsDagen / VisitStockholm – Stockholm, Sweden
- 2013 Travel Bloggers Exchange (TBEX) – Dublin, Ireland
- 2013 Travel Bloggers Exchange (TBEX) – Toronto, Canada
- 2012 Travel Blogger Elevator (TBE) – Genova, Italy
- 2011 Moderator: Diversity Forum – Vienna, Austria
- 2011 Travel Bloggers Unite (TBU) – Manchester, England
- 2010 Travel Bloggers Exchange (TBEX) – Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2010 Travel Bloggers Exchange (TBEX) – New York, USA
- Absolut Vodka, Austrian Airlines, Busabout, Dove, Emilia Romagna Tourism / BlogVille, Expedia, Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts, German National Tourism Board, HomeAway, IAmbassador Collective, Intrepid Travel, Jetsetter, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Lonely Planet, Marriott International, MasterCard, Mercedes Benz, Mocinno International, MOVE Guides, National Geographic Channel, Swedish Lapland, Sweden.se / Swedish Institute, South African Tourism, Skyscanner, Tourism Ireland, Visit Sweden, Visit Stockholm, Wimdu, World Travel & Tourism Council
For serious collaborations, you can request a copy of my media kit via email@example.com
She is based in Stockholm, Sweden and is available for both writing and photography assignments around the world.